Two Valley Regional Fire Authority fire trucks parked in front of a house.

Firefighters rescue unconscious female from Algona house fire

A woman was found unconscious, and another man needed medical attention following an early morning house fire in Algona.  Firefighters rescued the female from the home’s second floor, performed CPR along with King County Paramedics, and transported her to Multicare Auburn Medical Center.

The first 9-1-1 calls came in just after 7 a.m. from the residents of the two-story home and nearby neighbors in the 100 block of Seattle Blvd. S. in Algona.  Valley Regional Fire Authority (VRFA) Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the second floor and two adult males who had evacuated.  They reported that their parents were still inside.

A crew of firefighters entered the first floor, assisted the father outside, advanced to the second story, and began extinguishing the fire.  Simultaneously, another crew of firefighters executed a VEIS tactic. Using VEIS – which stands for vent, enter, isolate, search – a VRFA firefighter raised a ladder to a second floor window where the adult female was said to be, broke the glass, and carefuly entered the room after ensuring the floor was intact. Searching the hot room in zero visibility conditions,  the firefighter quickly located the unconscious patient and, with the assistance of another firefighter, carried her outside through a door on the first floor. VRFA and KC Medic One Paramedics performed CPR and transported the mother to Multicare Auburn Medical Center in critical condition.  The father was also taken to Multicare Auburn.  Both patients suffered smoke inhalation.

Firefighters found one cat who sadly perished in the fire; two other cats are unaccounted for at this time.  The home sustained significant smoke and water damage, estimated at $130,000.  The American Red Cross is providing emergency food, clothing, and shelter while the residents are displaced.  The fire is under investigation.

South King Fire and Rescue, King County Medic One, and Puget Sound Fire also responded to this incident to assist with the firefighting and medical efforts.

Fires can happen at any time, anywhere.  Please remember to check your smoke alarms and practice your home fire escape plan.