King County Burn Ban in Effect

The King County Fire Marshal has issued a Stage 1 burn ban which prohibits all outdoor burning—with the exception of small recreational fires in established fire pits. The VRFA will not be issuing burn permits until the ban is lifted.

What is a "Recreational Fire"?

The only fires allowed within Auburn, Algona, and Pacific city limits are recreational fires defined as cooking fires or campfires using firewood or charcoal, that occur in designated areas or on private property, for cooking, pleasure, or ceremonial purposes (ref. WAC 173-425). Fires used for yard waste or debris disposal purposes are considered residential fires and are prohibited within city limits

Obtain a Burn Permit


The Valley Regional Fire Marshal follows all burn bans set forth by both the King County Fire Marshal and the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. If either agency has declared a burn ban, the VRFA will not issue burn permits until the ban is lifted.


If there is no burn ban in effect, residents can obtain educational burn permits for Recreational Fires

Recreational fires are defined as cooking or camp fires using:
  • Seasoned firewood
  • Manufactured logs
  • Charcoal briquettes

Publicly owned areas with designated fire pits do not require a permit from the VRFA.


Residential Fires are always prohibited within city limits

  • Brush, yard debris, or other vegetation
  • Garbage or plastics
  • Treated materials
  • Burn Barrels

Fires used for land-clearing, yard waste or debris disposal purposes are illegal. Learn how to legally dispose of yard waste through the King County Solid Waste Division.

Be A Good Neighbor

You are responsible for the smoke from your fire. If smoke from any outdoor fire impacts or unreasonably interferes with the use or enjoyment of surrounding or adjacent property, it is considered a nuisance and you must stop burning when notified.

Burning during a burn ban may result in monetary fines beginning from $2,000 plus the cost of reimbursing the fire department for responding. To report illegal or nuisance burning, call 911.