A firefighter from the Fire Department is bravely battling a fire in front of a building, providing essential service and risking their life to ensure the safety and rescue of those inside.

Firefighters quickly extinguish fire in Auburn strip mall

Five Auburn businesses were damaged in a late morning fire in the 900 Block of E. Main Street Wednesday, Dec. 9, but due to a quick stop by VRFA firefighters, the majority of the building was saved.

Fire crews responded to the Auburn strip mall within three minutes, following a 911 call from one of the business owners reporting smoke and flames from an awning.  Due to the size of the building, a second alarm was called, bringing units from South King Fire and Rescue and Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority to assist.

According to VRFA Fire Investigators, the fire began in the junction box of a ceiling light located in the awning, then spread horizontally along the entire length of the structure. Fortunately, firefighters were able to extinguish the fire before it spread to the interior of the building.  The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, resulting from an overloaded electrical circuit.

Athens Pizza & Pasta House, Villa Barber Shop, Nail Master Too, Salon Focus, and Cascade Chiropractic & Massage will be closed for repairs after the fire, as all received smoke and water damage.  Nail Master Too and Salon Focus sustained the most damage as firefighters had to pull down parts of the ceiling to access the fire.  Damage is estimated at $175,000 to the building and $75,000 to interior contents.